Re: Life-spans and spawnings

Alex,
I've been watching an astonishing apisto-phenomenon for a few months. I
have a pair of Apisto agassizii Alenquer that are now on their 19th
spawn. The first 15 came at 10 to 15 day intervals (!), were tiny, and
were eaten. If I gave the female whiteworms, she spawned. Suddenly, she
started raising fry, and has slowed down. She's a robust, busy
individual. It's the male who looks worried.
I've never managed to get njisseni past two spawnings - no matter how
good they look, one of them dies. The same for panduro. Cacatuoides have
gone up to six or seven spawnings for me, before the male usually gets
offed.
P. pulcher went for two years of breeding for me. Tell your friend to
get a small heated river.
Interestingly, for all the spawnings, my Alenquer have only raised two
broods so far. BTW, for those who like agas, this population is
astonishing. I highly reccomend grabbing some if they show up in your
part of the world.
-Gary