Re: Life-spans and spawnings

>Alex,
>I've been watching an astonishing apisto-phenomenon for a few months. I
>have a pair of Apisto agassizii Alenquer that are now on their 19th
>spawn. The first 15 came at 10 to 15 day intervals (!), were tiny, and
>were eaten. If I gave the female whiteworms, she spawned. Suddenly, she
>started raising fry, and has slowed down. She's a robust, busy
>individual. It's the male who looks worried.
>I've never managed to get njisseni past two spawnings - no matter how
>good they look, one of them dies. The same for panduro. Cacatuoides have
>gone up to six or seven spawnings for me, before the male usually gets
>offed.
>P. pulcher went for two years of breeding for me. Tell your friend to
>get a small heated river.
>Interestingly, for all the spawnings, my Alenquer have only raised two
>broods so far. BTW, for those who like agas, this population is
>astonishing. I highly reccomend grabbing some if they show up in your
>part of the world.
>-Gary
I have experience with Pelvics only, soon I hope with the Apistos.  A pair
of taeniatus "Kienke" that I currently have did not spawn until close to 1
year old. Then had 4 clutches that were eaten at various stages. Clutches
5-6-7-8&9 I took and raised from wigglers. These totaled over 300 fry. The
10-11&12th spawns were left and they have raised 12 to 16 in each clutch.
The parents are about 28 months old . I have a male from their 7th spawn
that has a female from a nother breeder and is actively "playing" spawning.
I would think by Spring they will be with fry.

Just as a side note: the oldest fish that I have ever owned was a
synodontis flavatainiatus
(sp) I received in 1973 . It died in a friends tank 2 years ago, 1997. I
had quit keeping Rift cichlids some years ago and put it in a 125 that was
available at my friends home.

MikeD