Re: Apisto beginner summary and new questions ;-)

> I read in A. Konings cichlidbook (the green one)
> that cacatuoides only live 9 months, borellii gets
> to two years average.

Mmm, don't know about this distinction.  On the whole I'd
say Apistos don't live long.  If you breeed them and the
fry grow to maturity in 4/5months then it should be
possible to keep them going over a long period.

> Now, could I get away with two females and one
> male borellii in the 20 long?

What size in inches is a 20long, over here (UK) we talk in
terms of lengthxheightxwidth.  Your gallons are a differnt
size to our's also.

If it is 36" long then I'd say you could easily keep 2 or
even three females.  Borellii are one on the most gentle
Apistos IMO.  Provide plenty cover and try and break the
tank into distinct territories using landmarks such pieces
of bog wood.

> About the water chemistry, is GH/DH of 4 too high
> for a borellii?
Borelli are an easy to breed Apisto and along with
cacatuoides and a few others do not need very low
pH/hardness water.  4dH is still pretty soft isn't it?

> So, black neons make a good dither... They aren't very
> expensive here (under $1.5). I can get to white clouds
> too (Tanichthys alabonubes). Which one of both is the
> best (ie. eats less Apisto fry).

Any fish will eat fry if they get the chance.  Dithers are
not really needed for borellii or cacatuiodes if at all for
any apistos.  If you want something in their get slow
swimming surface dwellers.  I like Aphyosemion bitaeniata.
They will even produce their own fry if you add some java
moss to the tank and they are gorgeous.

Good luck,
Ken.