Re: nijsseni - spawning problems

Is it possible that this fish is proving difficult or impossible for some
people to spawn etc. because the fish obtained had been raised without
parental care?  The things I am reading about the fish eating their spawn
and not spawning again is rather offputting to say the least.  I understand
that they have water parameter requirements that are more specific than
other apistos, but it seems that even when people get these close to 'home',
there are still problems.

I'm asking for two reasons.  1.  I almost bought a pair last year from my
lfs, but was put off them when the store manager told me that the male was
an out -and-out bully, and it had been returned by another customer.  He was
refered to as "the terrorist". (The fish, not the customer).  But he looked
gorgeous.  I don't have space for a super-aggressive fish.

2. They are relatively rare, and I am getting suspicious that perhaps this
is because breeders are taking the eggs from the parent, and maybe without
parental care, not as many survive.  (Fungused eggs etc.)

If someone who has had success on a consistent basis with this fish would
explain to me the 'hows' and 'whys' then I would be more than willing to set
up a tank for them and give them a try.

Thanks
G. Kadar