Re: A. cacatuoide - hybrid

I have "triple reds" which I got from Dave Soares.  These fish are basically
selectively bred double reds, which havee lots more color.  Where the dividing
line is, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with whether there is any red
in the anal fin.  Three interesting things about my particular fish;

1) Dave has been breeding this particular blood line for a significant number
of generations.  At the time he was keeping all his apistos in the same water
parameters, which is pH 6.4, snowmelt from the tap plus Waters of the World to
achieve about 40ppm and semi-Amazon contaminants.  My pairs won't spawn unless
I give them similar conditions, in spite of cactuoides' reputation for
preferring harder, more base water.  I suspect that if we can claim that
instincts like parental care can be lost in a couple generations of egg-
pulling, then natural selection amongst Dave's fish has given those with a
genetic adaptability to softer, acidic water an advantage in procreating.

2)My males have a LOT more color than the ones in Kaycy's photo.  Dave has
been doing selective breeding for color, and he has done a great job.

3) When my females get into breeding color, the red-and-black pattern shows
over the length of the dorsal fin.  I have not seen this in any double-red
females.

Bob Dixon