Re: bounce: first time on list

>From: "Vern Wensley" <vernwen@home.com>
>Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:35:56 -0800
>
>Hi everyone.I am new to the list.Hope to get lots of good information
>here.I
>am currently running 20 tanks of apistos.What I would like to find out
>is
>if
>anyone has heard the name,A.sp.rio malomé.I bought them at the local
>fish
>auction.They are not A.mamoré.I have some of them and they are a
>different
>fish.Any information anyone has would be of great help.I cant stand not
>knowing what my fish really are.I will sit down and write a detailed
>description when I find some time.Thanks .Vern
>vernwen@home.com

Vern, I also have this fish.  I posed a similar question to the group on
January 9th without any response other than asking if I didn't have sp. rio
mamore.  I bought 6 fish.  The fish are growing quickly, largest male is
1-1/2 inches, largest female 3/4.  I have had a successful spawn in soft
water with pH slightly less than 6. Female is raising brood of about 20 in
15 gallon tank with regular feedings of brine shrimp.  I have not yet been
impressed with colors.  Male is showing red color to rounded tail. Other
than that not much color, at least not yet.  There is a distinct spot on
base of caudal fin. Males typically show a distinct lateral band that ends
some distance prior to caudal spot.  No evidence of any other patterns on
body except hint of a line of spots along base of dorsal fin (dorsal
blotches in Mayland & Bork). Breeding male shows little or no evidence of
either marking and caudal spot is much subdued.  There does seem to be some
evidence of blue body color.  Female does tolerate male in relatively close
proximity to fry (3") and when female leaves to chase conspecifics in tank
male seems to assume protective stance immediately above fry.  This
spawning surprised me and the tank is supplied with large number of beech
leaves into which conspecifics have retreated.  These fish seem especially
intolerant of conspecifics, female will race the length of the tank to
attack a conspecific that allows itself to be visible.  I would like more
information as well, which species group does it belong with, does male
develop more color with age, how large do they grow, from where do they
originate.  Maybe Mike Wise can check his Xmas map of South America to see
if he can find Rio Malome.  I also called the seller who wasn't sure if
spelling might be Rio Malowe.

Charles Ray

Still waiting on my Apisto-Gram