T-8's (was Re: Aquarium Lighting)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Randy & Deb Carey wrote:

> Anyway, I got an education about T8's vs T10's--the T8's are the bulbs of the
> future I hear.

Actually, for most office buildings, they're the bulbs of the present.
Just taking a while for the aquarium trade to catch up and slap outrageous
prices on them.  You can buy single Sylvania Octron 5000K or 6000K tubes
for around $4.50 at commercial lighting suppliers (if you're not picky
about color, you can buy 4100K tubes for $2 at Home Depot), and yes, they
really do retain some 90-something percent of their initial lumens over
several years.

Lots has been said on this subject on the Aquatic Plants List.  I have a
few things archived on the Krib's lighting section
(http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/).  Finally, one of my experiences is
documented at http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/Darn/darn3.html

Our fishroom is 90% T-8's -- they work quite well mounted in upturned
vinyl raingutter, and two ballasts' worth light our 10-foot rack quite
well.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson