Re: Water chemistry questions - part II

Mike Roberts writes:

> My A. cacatuoides are in their tank and are seeming to become acclimated to
>  their new home.
>
>  I have another question about water chemistry.  Our tap water appears to be
>  extremely soft.  I just measured and got the following values:
>
>  GH = 2.0
>  KH = 1.5
>
>  Do I need to think about adding something to the tank to get these values
>  up? or will these fish be happy with this soft water?

My tap water runs GH 3.0 and KH 4.0, with pH at 7.8  My A. cacatuoides won't
spawn until I use some means to get the pH down to 6.5, lower than normal for
the species.  It is worthy of note that this particular line has been breeding
in lower pH levels than normal for the species for a lot of generations.  My
supplier has had them for at least 5 years.   It is possible some natural
selectivity has given fish more adaptable to this low pH a reproductive
advantage.  As a rule of thumb, it is safe to say that cacatoo dwarfs are very
adaptable, and will probably LOVE your water.  You might want to note your pH
and if they aren't giving you results, slowly adjust the pH about 0.2 every
couple weeks, until the female yellows up.

Bob Dixon