Re: Wild caught A. Borellii question

"Beard, Kelly" wrote:

> I managed to get 4 A. borellii - $10 a pop.  The guy I buy from said that they
> were wild caught.  I read a thread here about opal colored fish. I got the
> impression that this was some bred-in thing and that wild ones were yellow?

No, there are several different color populations in the wild. As Julio said one
of the more inensely colored forms is called opal or opalita. It often has some
green mixed in with the blue & red. Most probably are domestics whose ancestors
were "cherry picked" by breeders for color. Back in the Dark Ages of apisto
keeping (20+ years ago), most A. borellii were domestic bred. They were mostly
yellow and said to have had most of the blue bred out of them. Whether or not
this was true, I can't really say.

If all of your fish have nice blue flanks, then I'd bet you have all males.
Females are generally drab fish-belly white, unless in brood dress.

Mike Wise