Re: Pv. taeniatus Matadi or Pv. subocellatus Matadi black?

Tsuh Yang,

Pv. subocellatus is easy to tell from the Pv. taeniatus species-group by just
looking at their body shapes. Pv. subocellatus has a shorter, deeper, body than a
similarly sized Pv. taeniatus/callipterus/kribensis.  Male Pv. subocellatus also
have pale "spots" in the upper lobe of the caudal fin. Male Pv.
taeniatus/callipterus/kribensis possess dark, usually haloed, spots in the upper
caudal lobe.

I've seen this name on the lists, too and am curious whether it's misnamed or a
new taeniatus-group species from near Matadi, a city near the mouth of the Congo
River.

One of the fish you listed was the Giant Krib, Pv. sacrimontis/Pv. sp. aff.
pulcher. After corresponding with Dr. Loiselle, I now accept his view that Pv.
sacrimontis is a valid name under the provisions of the ICZN. I would encourage
anyone who can get this Krib to try and breed it. It's biotope is being threatened
in Nigeria. It requires streams with a canopy rain forest, which is rapidly
disappearing in its native habitat. For breeders to get 50/50 sex ratios, this
fish needs to be spawned at pH values below 6.

Mike Wise