Re: water conditions for A, panduro & D. filamentosus

Thanks for the comments.  I think they're a bit young for breeding now,
the male panduro is @ 4cm the females are @ 3cm, the filamentosus are @
3-4.5cm (standard).  I understand they all grow larger.  Although, the
male Apisto has been becoming aggressive toward the females today.
Funny, there's pretty much no inter-species action what-so-ever.  I was
afraid that the Apistos might bully the others, at least I read that D.
filamentosus don't stand up well to bullying.
Just one question on your comments.  You mentioned that I shouldn't need
to use peat unless I wanted to breed them.  I was wondering if I should
just wait until they're ready to breed, or go ahead and start off with
the peat now...
I'm also curious about the filteration system that you're using on your
tap.  Is it something that's marketed for aquarium use?  I haven't heard
of it.
Thanks again,
Peter

>Peter,
>Your water conditions sound fine for keeping D. filamentosus and A.
>panduro.  If you are going to attempt to breed them, however, you may
want
>to bring that pH down a bit.  Your idea of peat in circulating water in
>30-50 gal container should do the trick (you will have to experiment to
>find out how much peat to use... the good thing is that using more peat
>than is needed should not harm your fish in any way).  As long as the
peat
>you bought does not have any additives (which it probably does not), it
>should be fine.
>
>With your water conditions, I would not bother getting an RO filter
unless
>the peat fails to produce conditions conducive to breeding.  I use an
ANI 2