Re: Papiliochromis spp. (was P. Matadi)

djhanson@calweb.com wrote:

> > i believe the bolivian ram (P. altispinosa) comes from bolivian rainforest.
> > there is another sp. that comes from southwestern brazil, it is sometimes
> > labeled as Papiliochromis (or Microgeophagus, depneding on who you believe)
> > "two spots."
> As far as I know the Papiliochromis altispinosa has been recently
> changed to Microgeophagus. That is the info I get from out local Cichlid
> club and other 'experts'.
>
> Kaycy

Or should it be in the genus "Mikrogeophagus Meulengracht-Madsen, 1968"? (How's
that for muddying the water!) Either way it would be spelled "M. altispinosus",
with a masculine suffix.

There are several different populations of the Bolivian Ram, just look in the
Aqualog book. Whether they are one or more species has yet to be determined.

Mike Wise