Re: Laetacara Sp.

John,

I suspect that it was misspelled. It probably should have been L. sp. Araguaia
(for the Rio Araguaia). In her paper - Natural history of fishes in Araguaia &
Xingu Amazonian tributaries, Serra do Roncador, Mato Grosso, Brazil - Dr.
Lowe-McConnell lists a species she calls Laetacara sp. '7-stripe' that she
collected at Córrego do Gato on the upper Rio Xingu (Marco, actually in the
headwaters of the Rio Suiá-Missu, at Matinha), but nothing from the Araguaia.
Unfortunately, she was doing a survey, not taxonomy, so there's no description of
this fish in the paper. Marco Lacerda, however, has collected L. sp. Bukelkopf -
Hump/Bulge-head from the Rio Araguaia. Could it be this species?

Mike Wise