Re: nasty boy

G. Kadar writes:

> I bought a male cacatoides recently in order to not have too much inbreeding
>  in my stock.  I put him in a 30 gallon with a ripe female and 6 neons as
>  dithers.
>
>  Initially, he was just plain nasty to the female.  (Maybe he'll settle
>  down.)   Then one day the female disappeared.  She'd barricaded herself
into
>  the coconut shell.  So, I thought they'd spawned.  Periodically she would
>  come out, tail flap him, take a run at the neons, and go back into her
>  shell.  That was on friday.  She wasn't yellow and he was not being nasty.
>
>  Today, Sunday, I took a good look at what was now happening.  She came out
>  of the shell, and he went in.  You guessed it - nothing in there!  And he
>  was harassing her (but not like Bill Clinton).  So, I pulled him out.
>
>  I was wondering what to do with this creature.  Should I relegate him to
the
>  guppy tank?  So, I put him in another 30 gallon that has a ripe female, 6
>  dwarf Gouramis and 4 juvenile cacatoides.  Right now it's "stand off time
at
>  the O.K. Corral" - all the fish have assumed a posture of suspended
>  animation.  There are a lot of Utah rocks in there, and plenty of hiding
>  places for everyone in case all hell breaks loose.  But I don't need to see
>  violence.

Sounds to me like he's in the mood and she's not.  Check your water parameters
and feed her well.  You might want to put him in sloitary for a week while you
get her "libido" up.

My cacatuoides pair acts like that a week or two after they have spawned, when
she's still busy guarding eggs and he wants to make more eggs.

Bob Dixon