Re: First tank

Glenn writes:

> I am setting uo a ten gallon tank ( all I have room for).  The water out of
> my
>  tap is very soft, 3-4 KH.  Could any one suggest a good species to start
out
>  with??  i would like to hopefully breed some.  If the tank is too small
just
>  let me know.  I don't want to cramp these guys.  Thanks!!!

Okay, my turn.

I am currently bredding A. cacatuoides in a ten.  I have in the past kept and
bred A. agassizii ( I always have trouble with the spelling on this one), A.
bitaeniata, and A steindachneri in tens.  I would not even think about it if
it were the only tank I had.  You need someplace bigger for the fry to grow
up.  You would also need to separate the pair if the male turns out to be an
egg or fry eater.

A. borelli and A. viejita are small enough to breed in trios in tens.  I've
bred borelli that way.  If they aren't F0's you will probably get small enough
spawns to handle being in a ten.  But then what do you do after the fry are a
few weeks old, too young to sell, and too big to keep in a ten gallon tank
with a grown pair of adults.

Perhaps you can buy one of those metal stands that holds two tanks.  Then at
least you can separate parents and fry at some point.  Or maybe clear off the
top of your dresser.  Or sell the TV and set up tanks there.  Be forewarned,
once you get the itch, you'll make your kids sleep in the garage to get in one
more tank.

Bob Dixon