RE: Apisto sp. aff. Agassizii ID?

Mike,

Thank you for your reply. My fish does, however, not show the feature you
mention. The lateral band extends continuously all the way into the tail
without even a hint of ending in front of the caudal patch.

If my fish had not been labeled "wild caught A. afanini" in the fish shop I
would have thought that they were A. agassizii showing inbreeding effects
such as shorter fins and the fact that one of the smaller males and one of
the small females have deformed lower jaws.
After observing them in my tank though, I am still inclined to believe that
they are indeed wild:
- The two largest females had large (although infertile) spawns after one
week of heavy feeding.
- They show brilliant colors.
- They are much more aggressive and territorial than any apisto I have kept
previously.

For now I will keep feeding them well, keep the males separated and include
a fair number of target fish in their tanks and see what turns out when the
smaller ones grow out.
The first spawns were not viable - all eggs turned white and were eaten. I
will lower the pH to the low fives and see what happens with future spawns.

My first attempt at taking pictures of them was a complete failure. I will
borrow a digital camera and give it another try.

Fredrik Nilsson