Re: A. sp Erdfesser

Lcrabo@aol.com wrote:

> If the Mayland & Bork A. pulchra is sp "Erdfesser", what is the true identity
> of pulchra.  Is this an agassizii group fish?  I recall seeing a picture of
> male pulchra with chestnut-colored caudal somewhere (don't recall exactly
> where).  These resembled aggies.
>
> Lars (Bellingham, Washington)

Some photos of the real A. pulchra have been published:
1. In Oliver's column in TFH (Interesting Imports)
2. In Japanese book "Dwarf Cichlids" of Pisces Publishers
3. In German magazine DATZ (a note written by Wolfgang Staeck)
4. In German magazine Aquaristik aktuell
5. In TI magazine (in German), in a general article I wrote about farm-
breeding of Apistos in Brazil.
6. In "Aquarium" (Italian magazine), translation of above article.
Yes, it is close to A. agassizii, but the caudal fin is not pointed, but
truncate or oval-shaped. The caudal-fin pattern is "lace-like", like
Mike Wise so well described it. Also a lot of other diagnostic
characters.
Regretably no photo of the true A. pulchra can be found in Aqualog, Bork
& Mayland or Linke & Staeck books.