Re: D.filamentosus

Just goes to show that there is nothing new under the sun. Color varieties of
Dicrossus filamentosus were noted as far back as 1976 (Winkelmann, H.  1976.
„Crenicara filamentosa - eine Rarität". Tetra Info. 10(34): 12, and in English as
Winkelmann, H.  1977. Remarks on my article: Crenicara filametosa - a rarity.
Aquar. Digest Intnl. (16): 12). Several books have noted these differences, too -
Schmettkamp (1981), Linke & Staeck (1984-1997), Mayland & Bork (1997).
Winkelman's articles and Schmettkamp's book describe differences in females, too.
Linke & Staeck claim these differences show where the fish originated - the Rio
Negro or Rio Orinoco. These authors emphasize the differences in the caudal fin
of the male & the caudal & anal fins of the female.  I don't know if these are
the same color variations that David is talking about or not. I'd be interested
in learning the differences and collecting locality, if possible.

Mike Wise