Re: Taenatus spawn

> Hi folks ---
>
> My pair of P. Taenatus "Moliwe" appear to have spawned last night --- much coming and going from an inverted flower pot.  Female now hangs out inside while the male patrols the perimeter.
Congrats.

>  They are in a 10 gal. tank w/ 3 pencil fish as dithers. PH 6.8 - 7. Temp. 78-80 degrees.
Conditions about right for reasonable sex ratio in the fry,
I think.  The pencil fish should not pose a problem to the
fry, watch out they do not get killed though.

>   How long will it be before the eggs hatch?  How long before they are free swimming?
3 days to hatch, 5 after that before free swimming.

>    Any other tips?
>
>     Also, the female has developed a whitish patch on her flank ¯ it doesn't appear to be a growth on the surface like fungus.  Clearly it couldn't bother her too much since she spawned anyway.  I had tried some Malichite green to no avail.  Suggestions?
This is just a guess but often pelvicachromis males peck at
the side of the female while she is doing her shimmy dance
in front of him.  It may be that a scale has been damaged.
As long as it does get any worse don't worry, be happy.

Ken.