Re: Teleocichla centrarchus

There's a nice article on this species that was published a few years ago:

Weidner, Thomas. 1995. Pflege und Zucht von Teleocichla cf. centrarchus. DATA 48:
698-701.

He called it T. cf. centrarchus because his fish came from a locality over 100 km
(60 mi.) from the type locality and had minor differences in its markings. He kept
his fish in a 120 x 50 cm (48 x 20 in) bottom, 300 l (78 US gal.) tank. The bottom
was covered with rocks and gravel. Water conditions were: pH 6.0, 3ºdGH, 0ºdKH.
Since these are rheophilic fish (live in rapidly flowing water) they need as much
oxygen as possible. Temperature was set at 30ºC (86ºF) and he claimed that
observations in the wild had found these fish in slow moving back water areas
where the temperature was 35ºC (95ºF)! He fed frozen brine shrimp, glass worms,
cyclops, daphnia, insect larvae, and small shrimp. He also fed live baby brine. He
says never feed blood worms (Rote Mückenlarven), they killed his T. cinderella for
some reason.

Breeding is more like that of Kribs. The male established a territory and bred
with a female. She did all the brooding and hatching of the eggs and didn't allow
even the male near the breeding cave. After about 10 days the male was permitted
near the cave. On the 12th day 35 fry were released from the cave. Mature females
can have up to 100 fry. They were about 1 cm (3/8 in) long. The parents wouldn't
allow any fish within 40 cm (16 in) of the fry. They were fed baby brine for the
first 2 weeks and nearly doubled in size. After this small frozen foods were
added. Hope this helps.

Mike Wise