Re: sp. Iquitos

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> Charles Ray writes:
>
> > I've just ordered an apisto labeled sp. "Iquitos".  Does anyone know what
> >  I've ordered, I can't find it in my limited info.  I think the spelling is
> >  correct, I haven't seen it in print.  TIA
  What I
> really want to say is "Shame on you for ordering blindly".  I could rant and
> flame for a while, but I think the general caveats about getting in fish you
> know nothing about are all fairly well known.  Do your homework first next
> time, okay?
>
> Bob Dixon

Hi Bob,
You've thoroughly convinced me on fish nutrition, but you've lost me on
this one. If it's an apisto from around Iquitos, it ain't that hard to
guess how to keep it properly. If we waited til fish were IDed, we'd
have aggies, borelli and cacatuoides, and that's probably it. Assuming
the exporter knows what an apisto is, I think Charles has done the right
thing. You can't identify or learn about a fish you've never seen. By
posting, he is doing his homework.
I've kept atahualpa, panduro, juruensis, apistogrammoides pucallpaensis
and uapesi on the basis of their arriving as unidentified apistogramma.
You then figure out what they might be, ask around, and see how you do.
In the wise words of Ms Frizzle (The Magic Schoolbus cartoon) - "get
dirty, take risks".
If it's labelled as "fish, Iquitos", then I wouldn't buy it (red-tailed
catfish, anyone?) but an apisto is an apisto.
-Gary