Re:black blotches

Hello all- I have a question about my apistos- some of my fish (regani and borelli esp. -in a 90 gal heavily planted tank) occasionally get black blotches on their bodies mostly around the head region. The blotches are irregular in shape and their size is variable. The blotches are not always present, but when they are present, they last for a few days (the size and shape can change within this period). None of the fish seem to be sick and the blotches don't appear to be any different than the rest of the skin (except for the colour). Does anyone have an plausable explanation.

Cory Williamson