Re: The "Amazon Explorers" return

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, alex pastor wrote:

> Welcome back Erik and Kathy!!  It's wonderful to know that your trip was a
> success.  I'm sure we are all waiting impatiently for the highlights of your
> trip.  The gory details especially.  :) :) :)

We'll probably be writing articles on some of the specifics.  Kathy and
Karen Randall were basically the only two people on the trip to catch a
significant amount and variety of fish, especially Apistos, and this
itself was quite difficult because of the rainy season and high water
levels... they were catching Apistos one at a time, not the typical
"dozens per netful" during the dry season.  We're hopeful we got enough of
each of the species to breed them (but clearly not enough to give excess
to our friends!).  I managed to get some biotope shots of each "collecting
area" (loosely termed, because the trip was not actually a fish collecting
trip, so any collection was sort of opportunistic... on the other hand, we
may have gotten to some places the normal collecting trips don't
necessarily go), and one of the guys on the trip has good GPS data, so we
should be able to write up some nice "profiles".

Dave Gomberg was also on the trip; he's still in Manaus for the weekend.
No doubt he will have a lot to say when he comes back. ;)

(And over on the other console, Kathy's just starting to read her mail...
she'll probably have stuff to add too! )

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com