Re: Fwd: Help me ID Fish, A.hippolytae perhaps?

Erik Olson wrote:

> on some tributary of the Negro.  She also picked up a pertensis-like
> species at the same stop, and some fry. The one distinguishing feature
> that allowed even me to ID them in the holding bin (Kathy figured them out
> while she was netting them) was the very square flank patch (like A.
> steindachneri, but MUCH larger and darker and more square).

Regarding the locality where you collected this if sure A. hippolytae.

> Currently getting everyone settled in to their new homes here -- very low
> fish loss due to keeping them 1-2 fish per bag.  Aside from the
> hippolytae, we have a colony of what might be eunotus,

I would bet it is not eunotus, but A. regani. Look at the abdominal
stripes, you can see them more easily in males. Also the caudal fin is
not semi-squared shaped in regani, but more rounded.

> and a smattering of
> other random apistos, neat little tetras, pike cichlids, and cats. Expect
> articles, photos, and an updated "what's this fish?" site from both of us
> in the future. :)
>
>   - Erik

Go on, Erik.
I would like to visit your site and try to identify the fishes you got.