Re: Amazon diseases

Marco and Diogini

Thanks for your help

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Marco Lacerda wrote:
> I've seen this "fin lice" also in bigger cichlids, like Geophagus,
> Acarichthys and Gymnogeophagus (the later is not from Amazon). It seems
> to be a common parasite through South America.
> In small quantities of fish, like 5 to 10 fishes, you can remove the
> "lices" by taking the fish out of water, and using a diluted solution of
> formaline (I used FMC, a combination of malachite green + methylene blue
> + formaline) applied directly on the lice (with the help of a piece of
> cotton at the end of a stick; I don't know the English work for this
> object, but I think you will understand it).
> Sometimes the lice was "drunk" enough to be then removed from the fins;
> when not I repeat the treatment days later until the lice can be
> removed.

I will have to hit our local fish sotre and get some formalin (or
chemical supply house)

> Apistos, handnets is the best way, as they live mostly inside forests
> (some of them, sure). When living in the "praias" (sandy river shores)
> two people can use a seine, it is very effective.
> For tetras, it depends on their swimming habits; for tetras like
> Hatchets, you just need to use your seine on upper level, no need to use
> it up the river bottom.

> Collecting is always a great experience. By the way, the Cory you find
> at Rio Negro is Corydoras hastatus, not C. pygmaeus.
> Lots of interesting fishes, like Aspidoras pauciradiatus, Helogenes
> marmoratus (small marbled catfish swimming at middle water), Gnatocharax
> steindachneri, Hemigrammus stictus (green, caudal peduncle cherry red),
> just to mention a few not normally found at petshops.

The cory we found was actually on the Amazon not the Negro. Has a line
down the body.  I will show you pictures, originally Karan and I were
debating on the boat between hastatus and pygmaeus.  Any help on IDing any
of these guys is greatly appreciated.  I have one roll of film ready to
develop and will work on another as soon as work gives me time to be home.

I think we may have had one Hemigrammus stictus, it had a cherry red
peduncle spot, I will have to recheck.

Thanks Again,
Kathy