Bolivian rams

About 10 days ago I purchased 4 f1 Microgeophagus altaspinosa (?) juveniles.
They are about 4-5cm TL and live in a 30 gallon tank (heavily planted) with
6 wild neon tetras.  Initially they concerned me because they seemed to do
nothing but squabble with one another.  No injuries, but very enthusiastic
biting.  Compared to Apistos, these guys are majorly robust and continually
active.

They have settled down now, somewhat, although  there is no clear
pair-formation as of yet.  In fact, I cannot tell the difference between
male/female whatsoever.  Aside from catching them, and turning them upside
down to see differences in their vents (something I wasn't even too good at
with young kittens, much less fish) are there any other major clues that I
should be looking out for?  Also they don't tail flap or mark territory,
just bite each other on the head.

Also, according to one of the Cichlid books these fish come from an area
where the pH is 7.5, GH and KH both on the high side and temp 80.  My GH and
KH are not as high as in the place of origin but not soft water either.  The
fish length is given as 8 cm.  So, do I now wait it out for a while, or do
these fish also spawn when younger than full adult?  I've given them a
couple of flattish rocks on either end of the tank because I read that they
are substrate and not cave-spawners.

Is the tank too small for 4 of them?  Until I get pair bonding, there is no
real point in separating them.

They eat everything and anything so feeding them is no problem.

Any hints, clues etc. greatly appreciated.

G. Kadar