Re: Bolivian rams

G. Kadar
Your water conditions are fine for the Altispinosa's.   I would try
seperating them or anything, just leave them all in the 30 gallon tank
until they pair off.    When they do pair off remove the other two fish.
They won't be tolerated in the tank with the pair.   I had 4 fish in  15
gallon tank and waited for mine to pair off, so a 30 gallon tank is more
then big enough.   Unlike their regular Rams these guys can handle the
water slightly alkaline and not necessarily soft.   I've seen them
spawning in pet shop tanks with water conditions with pH of around 8.0
and hardness of 200ppm.   I don't know if the eggs would have hatched in
that water but they spawned in it.   This was the tank I selected my
fish out of which I later spawned.   I picked what I thought were 2
males and 2 females going by their genital tubes which were down at the
time.    I then spawned the pair in a 10 gallon tank with a pH of 6.8
and hardness of 60 ppm,  Temperature was around 80 F.    They spawned
out in the open in a clay flower pot saucer.   They turned out to be
great parents.    As to how old they were I'm not sure but the fish were
2.5 to 3 inches in length when they spawned.   Hope this helps.   Good
luck.
John Wubbolt