Re: iron for color

I once read (and can't find the reference now) that the red rim on the tails of
A. nijsseni turn pale yellow in fish kept in water with no dissolved iron, but
turn red in water from water with iron in it. All I know is that mine stay red.
Maybe it's because my water pipes are 90 year old black iron. Personally I doubt
that iron is more important than carotenes in their diets. Cyclops do redden
fish; just stop using them when you have very young fry.

Mike Wise