iron for color

I have heard that adding iron to the water will help with the color of the
fish.What will this do to the chemistry of the water?Will the hardness or
ph. be affected in any way?I was thinking of trying some,but was worried
about water chemistry as I have some tanks with the ph. below 5 for my
blackwater spieces.If it does nothing to the water it might be worth a try
as it would benifit the plants.Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Vern