Re: Chloramine remover

I wouldn't recommend using photographic fixer since it has additional hardening
agents in it. These are used to harden the coating in which the silver emulsion is
imbedded on the film and photo paper. Sodium Thiosulfate works fine. This is the
primary dechlorinating agent in most dechlorinators. Leaving chloramine treated
water out for a day will not dissipate the chlorine in the water. The chlorine is
bonded to ammonia to form a more stable compound that doesn't break down in air
very easily. This is why so many communities in the U.S. & Canada use it instead
of chlorine to sterilize their water. It doesn't break down and dissipate while in
the water lines. I've been told that in takes 2 weeks of aeration to dissipate
chlorine from chloramine treated water, but I would bet it's more like a week. The
minor amount of ammonia left from dechlorinating chloramine treated water is
quickly removed by any established biological filter.

AmQuel also uses Sodium Thiosulfate to break the chlorine/ammonia bond in
chloramines. The ammonia is then bonded to a colloid of some sort. At least that's
what their reps have told me in the past. This bond will release the ammonia
(usually slowly) after a day or so, but by then the biological filter will have
done it's duty. Personally, I use the cheapest dechlorinator I can find when
changing tanks (<20%). This is mostly a psychological prop, since all but the most
sensitive fish can handle this kind of water change without dechlorinating.

Mike Wise