Re: Bolivian rams (now Anomalochromis sp. Guinea)

Actually, I've been told that they're more closely related to
Anomalochromis sp.
Liberia (I bet most of you haven't even heard of this one!).
Anomalochromis sp.
Guinea is similar in size, shape, & color to A. thomasi. They differ in
their
color patterns. The vertical flank bars on A. thomasi are much paler
than those
on A. sp. Guinea. When guarding fry, both parents of A. sp. Guinea
display 4 deep
black bands that are almost twice as wide as those found on A. thomasi.
In
addition, A. sp. Guinea has a row of black dots just below the bases of
the
dorsal and anal fins on the flanks. Male A. sp. Guinea have longer
ventral fin
extensions, too. Both species have the same blue spangled pink flanks.
I've had
both species and personally prefer the contrasting pattern found on A.
sp.
Guinea. Otherwise they are nearly identical in behavior and their water
requirements.

I am always interested in selling & trading fish (you would be surprised
what I
trade for) with other hobbyists. The present spawn should be shipping
size in
another 4 - 6 weeks. By then the weather here should be warm enough to
ship them.
Anyone interested in them can check with me then.

Mike Wise