Re: How do I reduce my GH

Mike Wise wrote:
>"...R/O will waste a lot of water unless you get a professional pressurized
>R/O unit, and you'll go through a lot of expensive membranes in the process.
>Same goes for ion exchange resins (expensive)."

While I do agree that ion exchange resins would be horribly expensive in this case, I do
not agree when it is said that with a Reverse Osmosis unit "you'll go through a lot of
expensive membranes". I purchased a Kent Marine R/O unit (certainly not the top
of the line), and the rating for the membrane is 3-5 years or up to 25,000 gallons. While
I realize that with water that hard, it would be less, you'd still get a good 1.5 years at
absolute least out of a membrane. If you do routine carbon and micron prefilter replacement
(these are rather cheap) and most of all, flush your unit weekly (unscrew the flow restrictor
or buy a flush kit), you would greatly extend the life of the membrane even further. I have
my unit on an extremely hard water line with a pH of 8.2... and the unit is producing water
that meters at 2 degrees gH and 3.5-4 degrees kH. Using a digital pH meter the water reads
out at around 5.9 (but I don't know how accurate this is with such pure water). It has been
going for a year now with only one carbon and sediment prefilter replacement (combined
total of $17). New membranes for my unit are less than $70. If this person wants to keep
apistos, I see no reason to pass up a Reverse Osmosis unit.

Also, figures like yours don't register well. Normally it would be very hard to find water with
such a low kH and pH, but still having a HUGE gH. Perhaps your testing went arye? I find it
hard to believe. I live in limey Minnesota and run off of a community well, and my gH is at
around 26 degrees. Figures like yours just don't seem right.

Good luck!

-- Derek Wingert