Re: uS/mS difference?

Steve,

1 mS (milliSiemen) = 1/1000 of a Siemen; 1 µS (microSiemen) = 1/1,000,000 of a
Siemen. To get "µ" hold down the Alt key and enter 0181 from your number key pad.
Depending on the instrument and the temperature, a µS is roughly equivalent to
between 0.5 - 1 ppm TDS. They aren't equivalent. Hanna claims to have a TDS ratio
of 0.5 ppm=1µS. Your meter only measures down to 0.01 mS  or 10 µS (roughly 10
ppm TDS). This is OK for what you're using it for, but the one measuring in µS
may be more accurate but I doubt it. If you want to know the truth, they probably
have the same probe inside. Only the read-outs are different. I have a Wardley's
conductivity meter (= Hanna's old DiST WP 3) that reads in µS, but I have to
multiply the reading by 10 to get the true value. The new DiST WP 3 automatically
reads down to 1 µS, so it is more accurate. Since the lowest it reads is 1, then
1 x 10 = 10 µS is the lowest reading it provides. This is the same as your meter.
The only difference is that it's easier to mentally multiply by 10 than to divide
by 1000. When my probe dies I plan on buying a Hanna Watercheck. It combines a pH
meter and a conductivity meter (10 µS resolution) in one unit - and the probe is
replaceable. BTW my 1998 Hanna catalog doesn't show a HI 9812 or HI 9813. They
must be new.

Mike Wise