Re: Pertensis

Tim,

A. sp. Orangesaum (Orange-rim/seam) is one of several tiny species that form the
Balzfleck-group. The Balzfleck-group is characterized by their:
1. small size - <5 cm/2" TL;
2. moderately elongate, slightly fusiform body shape;
3. lack of sexual dimorphism, although the females are slightly LARGER than males
in most species;
4. low dorsal fin with no long posterior extension;
5. round caudal fin, usually with concentric arcs of spot-rows ending in a
different colored rim;
6. a prominent flank patch similar to that seen on steindachneri-group species;
and
7. where known, are strictly monogamous.

Included in the Balzfleck-group are:
A. sp. Balzfleck (Courting-spot)
A. sp. Minima
A. sp. Orangesaum (Orange-rim)
A. sp. Pimental
A. sp. Tiquié
A. sp. Weißsaum (White-rim)

I believe that A. sp. Minima & Weißsaum are the same species; and that Orangesaum
is just a different color form. Others believe that Orangesaum is a separate
species. Most are blackwater species originating in the Rio Negro system. A. sp.
Balzfleck comes from the Rio Uraricuera, a tributary of the upper Rio Branco. A.
sp. Tiquié comes from the Rio Tiquié, a tributary of the upper Rio Uaupés on the
Rio Negro. No precise distribution data are known for the other species. A. sp.
Pimental is thought to come from the lower Amazon, possibly the Rio Tapajós or
Rio Xingu. A. sp. Minima/Orangesaum/Weißsaum come in with fish like Dicrossus
filamentosus and Paracheirodon axelrodi (Cardinals/Red Neons). This would
indicate the upper Rio Negro/Orinoco as their source.

One of the interesting behavioral characteristics of these species is that the
males initiate spawning. They try to entice the slightly larger females toward a
preselected cave by dancing in front of them and displaying their large flank
patch. This is the opposite of other apistos, where the females select the cave
and entice the male to it. A. sp. Balzfleck & Pimental breed under white water
conditions: pH 6.0 and low dH. The others are true blackwater species that
require pH values from 4 - 5.5 and no hardness at all. If given the opportunity,
females cover the entrance to their caves after spawning and only open it once
the fry become freeswimming. If they can't cover the opening, spawnings are
usually unsuccessful.

Mike Wise