Levamisol...Again

"Phil Eaton" wrote: <<<Subject: Levamisol...Again
I know we've been through this not too long ago, but I recently noticed
the "white stringy feces", indicating an internal parasite, once
mentioned on the list several months ago.
I found a source for Levamisol HCL at a local feed store and was able to
purchase a single horse (Sheep) pill (1.8G) for a dollar, under the name
"Tramisol".
My question is, what is the recommended dosage for a 55 gallon tank, and
how should the substance be introduced to the water?  >>>>>

White stringy feces are typically a sign of Hexamita or Spironucleus
infection, although other causes can not be excluded completely.
Levamisole is not active on these flagellate parasites.
The most appropriate first-line treatment in your case is in my
opinion metronidazole, either as a 250 mg capsule/10 gal every
other day for three times, or as Tetra flakes for parasites (not those
for bacteria!) used for about a week.
Typically these parasites are hard to eliminate, but treatment will
reduce their number at least for several weeks or months.
If you see no response at all, you can then suspect nematodes, and
use the levamisole. I do not have the dosing data for your formulation
at this time, but if you need it I can see what I have at home. Just
let me know.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.