Re: Sand vs Gravel

>Is sand compatible with Undergravel filters? if so I might look into
>it.  otherwise i will use some form of fine gravel.
>Jeff

I think not, unless your UG-filter has really narrow slots. Sand is,
by definition, 0.2-2 mm in size, gravel is 2-20 mm grain size.
I know a lot of people call it sand even though it's 5 mm or more.

I know that my cories want the sand, I think most Apistos prefer
it but it isn't that important. I have noticed that most Apisto-
females seem to do more digging if the substrate is finer.
I use mostly coarse sand 1-2 mm and fine gravel <4 mm.

There isn't much gravel in the Amazon, mostly clay/mud, debris
or sand.

Regards
Fredrik L.