Re: Starting over (was:How do I reduce my GH)

Jeff writes:

> Here is a list of the items in my tank prior to the addition of the
>  coral.
>  1 piece of wood (some kind of dense root sold at the pet stores around
>  here)
>  1 piece of sandstone
>  1 shell (some kind of clam)
>  a plastic stump (sold at my lfs for decoration)
>  LOTS of java fern
>  LOTS of water sprite
>  rocks
>  ug filter
>

>  any good candidates?
>
>  I am going to replace my substrate at the next opportunity (next week i
>  think). Any suggestions for the "Ideal" substrate for apisto's? just so
>  I can get the best;)
>  I will start with the substrate and the plants, and keep an eye on
>  things.  I really want to do apistos.  I think i will set up another
>  tank with the hard water and try lamprologus lelupi (i love the color).
>  any other suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Get rid of the shell.  It is carbonate like the coral.  The chunk of dense
wood is the only thing I see that may possibly be a problem acidity-wise,
unless the other rocks are of something really weird.

Of the several suitable substrates available, the one the Apistos seem to
prefer is silica sand.  Play sand seems to work well, and is cheap enough to
be high on the list of options.

The plants are a good thing.  Remember that Java fern likes to be attached to
stuff rather than planted.

Why not set up a bare tank with no fish, and soak each of the other things
for a week or so, one at a time.  Anything that does not upset the pH, KH, GH
of your water should be acceptable.

Bob Dixon