Re: bioload

In a message dated 4/7/99 8:41:05 AM EST, dharnden@mindspring.com writes:

> >But you  better get a
>  > filter going in there or you will lose it all once you have all that
extra
>  > bioload from the fry.  I recommend a simple sponge filter for your
>  particular
>  > setup.
>  >
>  > Bob Dixon
>

>  What kind of bioload? Ammonia that the fish excrete? I was thinking that
>  bacteria in the tank would break that stuff down to less toxic forms.  I
>  don't have any plants in there now but I was going to add some duckweed.
The
>  only food has been insect larva. I do a 25% water change about every 3
days.
>  Anything bad about the rotting leaves?
>
>  Daniel Harnden

Yea, ammonia and stuff.  The bacteia in your tank won't be sufficient for
long.  You need to establish a LOT of bacteria in a filter medium of some
sort.  Sponge filters are great for this.  And there's plenty bad about the
rotting leaves.  More ammonia, and dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) as
well.  I'd up that water change to 20% a day if you aren't going to put a
filter in there.  Of course, only fractionation or carbon filtering will
handle the DOCs, and a fractionation unit isn't practical in your set-up.

Bob Dixon