Re: Quite an endevor

Micah writes:

> I'm quite interested in setting up a large (125-200 gallon) aquarium for
>  apistos and other miscellaneous South American fish species. This would
>  not be difficult. What makes this quite an endevor is my insistance on
>  having a live tree growing out of the aquascape, and possibly a shallow
>  pool for breeding/quarantine/oohs and ahhs. I have seen a few pictures of
>  aquaria like this, unfortunately all of the text was in dutch, so I'm not
>  really sure where to begin. Does anyone have any info or tips (i.e.
>  construction, lighting, type of tree, filtration, etc.)?
>
>  Is any of this even possible?

I believe there are fresh-water cypress trees, and this would probably be
your best bet.  Ask Marco, as I think these trees are from Brazil.  You are
looking at a bunch more than 200 gallons though.

There are a number of plans available for constructing tanks out of wood and
glass.  Ask Leroy from the Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation.  The
web site is at http://www.garf.org .  You can get ideas from there as to how
to go about it.

Bob Dixon