Re: A. cruzi spawn

Thanks once again for the sage advice.  They seem
to be picking at a large root that is near the
middle of the mother's half of the tank.  There is
some alge growing on it and on the leaves of the
nearby Amazon sword too :-(

With any luck I will have bbs in around 12 hours or
so.  I am by no means experienced with bbs.  I built
a setup similar to what Jim Atchison describes on his
web page although I am running it at about 82-84F
instead of his recommended 78 to hopefully accelerate
things a bit.  Does anyone have a range of normal bbs
hatch rates?  Mine seems to be pretty low.  I switched
to a different batch of cysts to see if that makes a
difference.  Also,
Jim mentions that the bbs should be orange-brown for
optimal nutrition.  When I see my bbs swiming around
they look white or translucent.  Does this mean I
have waited too long and let them get too big?  I
use SF Bay brand brine shrimp eggs.

Thanks again.

Paul Evans

--- Derek Wingert <dwingert@MNIC.net> wrote:
> I whole-heartedly agree. I spawned Kribs in a 55
> gallon (in a pH of 8.6!!!). While
> only 20 fry survived the other cichlids, I have very
> rarely fed them any fry foods
> because the babies hang out underneath some plastic
> plants and it is near
> impossible to get food to them. They pick at plants
> and gravel and are doing just
> fine... in about a month they are already 1/2"+ long
> and doing great. Remember,
> the very young fry have a lot of little organisms
> they can eat. You should have more
> than enough time to start a BBS culture.
>
> -- Derek Wingert
>
> Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:
>
> >If they're in a planted tank they should do fine
> till the bbs hatch. Mine
> >were free swimming the day I went on vacation ( of
> course!) and they didn't
> >get any bbs for 5 days...they survived with no
> problems.

<HR>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV>I whole-heartedly agree. I spawned Kribs in a 55
gallon (in a pH of
8.6!!!). While</DIV>
<DIV>only 20 fry survived the other cichlids, I have
very rarely fed them any
fry foods</DIV>
<DIV>because the babies hang out underneath some
plastic plants and it is
near</DIV>
<DIV>impossible to get food to them. They pick at
plants and gravel and are
doing just</DIV>
<DIV>fine... in about a month they are already 1/2"+
long and doing great.
Remember,</DIV>
<DIV>the very young fry have a lot of little organisms
they can eat. You should
have more</DIV>
<DIV>than enough time to start a BBS culture.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-- Derek Wingert</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><A href="mailto:Mayalauren@aol.com"
title=Mayalauren@aol.com>Mayalauren@aol.com</A>
</FONT><FONT
size=2>wrote:</FONT><BR></DIV>&gt;If they're in a
planted tank they should do
fine till the bbs hatch. Mine <BR>&gt;were free
swimming the day I went on
vacation ( of course!) and they didn't <BR>&gt;get any
bbs for 5 days...they
survived with no
problems.<BR><BR><BR><BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>This

is the apistogramma mailing list, <A
href="mailto:apisto@majordomo.pobox.com">apisto@majordomo.pobox.com</A>.<BR>For

instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get
help,<BR>email <A
href="mailto:apisto-request@majordomo.pobox.com">apisto-request@majordomo.pobox.com</A>.<BR>Search

<A
href="http://altavista.digital.com">http://altavista.digital.com</A>