RE: High light = Apisto shyness?

I use a three bulb setup on a 50 gal breeder tank.  Both the plants and the
Apistos seem to love it.  Sure they hang out in the shadier areas, but even
this many bulbs doesn't come close to even overcast sunlight.  Some plants
are good for creating shady areas, e.g. echinodorus and hydrocotyle
leucocephala.  The latter will need to be trimmed back (weekly in my case)
or you will have a 'lily pond'.

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:50:23 -0500, "Derek Wingert" <dwingert@MNIC.net>
wrote:

> Well, luckily a friend I know owns a pet shop and sold me a complete
> used 36" Perfecto SHO light hood with reflector and two 5400K bulbs for
$90.
> Great for the plants... this will be a whopping 110 Watts over a 30 gallon

> tank... nearly four watts per  gallon. I was reading that Apistogramma are

> quite shy in these bright conditions. I plan on  having a few overhanging/
> floating (you know what I mean!)  Italian Vals, but not  too many floating

> plants, but luckily I will have lots of hiding places among plants,
driftwood,
> slate caves, and coconut caves. I am wondering if I just ruined my chances

> of keeping  Apistogramma -- and in a spendy fashion.

i have the same fixture on a 40 gallon (along with two CSL 27 watt PCs.)
this
will definitely be good for your plants. with proper fertilization (iron and

CO2), you should be able to grow some of the more demanding high-light
plants.

unless you plan to prune on a daily basis, you may have more "floating"
plants
that you thought. most happy plants in a high-light condition will race for
the
surface, fold over an spread out. this will provide a nice habitat for
apistos -
but can be a nightmare to keep looking good. the tops floating on the
surface
will shade the lower leaves, and you can end up with a tight mass of (good
looking) leaves floating above allot of spindly stems and water roots.