Re: Brazil fish pics

Kathy,

I'll try, but don't guarantee any accuracy.

Rio Cuieiras (sic); it should be spelled Rio Cueiras - a small left (east) bank
river entering the Rio Negro at the southern end of the Anavilhanas Archipelago:
Don't know my Crenicichla, but the mouth doesn't look like that of a the larger
piscivores; probably a dwarf species male. Check with Vinny.
A. sp. indet. (pertensis-group) similar to A. sp. Igarapé Ira from much farther
north, in the Rio Uaupés system.
Pyrrhulina sp. brevis-group. Since the type species of P. brevis comes from the
Rio Negro drainage, it probably is the true P. brevis.

Flooded cow pond, Rio Solimões:
Very close to A. sp. Blauglanz (Blue-sheen)
I would be very interested to learn approximately where this cow pond is located.

Rio Negro:
1 & 2: A. hippolytae males
3: A. sp. indet. Probably the same as the above, but the lateral band extends
into the caudal fin.
4: A. regani
5: A. sp. aff. meinkeni

Rio Solimões (various locations)
1: A. agassizii (old yellow form)
2: A. cf. regani
3: A. sp. Blauglanz? (too much glare on fish)
4 & 5: A. sp. aff. meinkeni females??
6 & 7: Leporinus sp. fasciatus-group (weird supraterminal mouth). Young, Y shaped
bars will fill in.

Rio Negro Creek
1: A. sp. indet. Probably same Igarapé Ira-like species as found in Rio Cueiras
2: A. sp. indet. Probably same as above but weird color (caused by flash?)
3. A. hippolytae female
4. A. hippolytae male
5 & 6: A. sp. aff. meinkeni

Unknown Location
A. sp. Lyre-tail Purus/Erdfresser/Rondonia???

Mike Wise