Ph adjustment Help

Dear List,

I need your help how to adjust the PH from my local tap water.
My local PH's tap water is 8.8 and I need to adjust to 6.5

I ran the tap water directly into a bucket (10 liter bucket)
and added a muriatic acid into the bucket until the PH
reached to 6.5 and I also ran an air stone overnight.

After 6 hours my PH's water increased to 7.4 and the next
morning the PH bounced back to 8.8

I tried it many times, and I still find the same result.

I wonder what's wrong with it or is there any steps that I missed?
Is there anybody in this list can help me.

Your opinions or suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ricky Martin                        mailto:RMG2001@USA.Net