borelli behavior (sponge filter)

My borelli fry are about 10 days free swimming. I siphoned them out and
placed them in a ten gallon tank. I put a sponge filter in with the fry (the
adult tank still has leaves in it and no filter but all appears well). The
fry will swim around if the filter is turned off and there is no current.
But if the filter is turned on they stay at the bottom (the tank is bare
except for the filter and heater).

My question is : How long can sponge filter stay turned off without hurting
the bacterial colony that lives in it?
Is three hours too long?

Daniel Harnden