Re: stunted growth

Hi guys,

I can't explain why this is effective, I just took the advice of
someone smarter than me and it worked...  I was told once by an "old
timer" in the hobby that regardless of the size of the tank (under
1000 gallons), water changes need to happen at least 50% every day, or
every other day to get good growth rates.

His explaination for this as he put it was due to "hormone release" of
the fry as they got to the "scattering" phase of development.  He
speculated that the natural release of hormones in the small fish
caused them to "disperse" naturally in the wild once they got to a
certain size.  If they didn't or weren't allowed to disperse, the
overabundance of "hormones" in the tank would stunt the growth of the
fry, and possibly cause what he referred to as "geeking" which was the
appearance of a perfectly normal fish becoming deformed potentially
causing death.

Having raised Hemichromis Lifilli for aboout 2 years, and the parents
being as prolific as they were, I had the opportunity to see the
behavior and effects of what he told me come true.

Bottom line: Good water changes every day, or every other day produced
excellent growth results, and re-sellable healthy fish in the shortest
amount of time.  I did not to interbreed the parents and the siblings,
and could get over 100 saleable fish from each spawn. They were raised
in as small as 5 gallon tanks up to 30's.

Again, I have no scientific background or evidence of what he told me,
it only "appeared" that all he said was true.

I hope someone out there really knows!  I am definately open to hear
more on this.

Phil

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Cory and Susanne Williamson" <webwill@infinet.net>

I have three 5 gal tanks with 1-cm long fry in them and they still
seem to
be growing well- I do up to 30-50% water changes every second day.
The fry
are about a two and a half months old now- If you have the space and
don't
have time for tons of water changes- then I would go for a bigger tank
(or
reduced #'s of fry)- I have sucessfully raised over a hundred bettas
in a 25
gallon tank, but the daily water changes just about drove me nuts-
Basically
what I am trying to say is that there are no hard and fast rules for
fish
densities other that they need to have a constant supply of clean
water- so
as the fish biomass goes up, either water changes must increase in
volume
and frequency or the water volume must get larger. Of course you can
complicate the system by adding elements that will used up the fish
wastes
(ex plants to use up nitrate or carbon to use up other organic wastes
etc.)

Hope this helps.

Cory Williamson