Re: tank size, fry growth, and water changes

Gabriella writes:

> Relatively recently I read a response to a letter by Jack Whattley,  He did
>  an experiment whereby he used a very small tank but lots of daily water
>  changes and a larger tank with fewer water changes.  The fry in the smaller
>  tank grew faster than the ones in the bigger tank.   So, there must be
>  something to the pheromone/hormone hypothesis.  And I *won't* suggest this
>  as a post-graduate study project.....
>
>  G. Kadar

About eight years ago, I read an article about discus growth and foam
fractionation (protien skimmers).  In tanks with the skimmer, fry growth was
about doubled.  The nature of the skimmer was not discussed except that it
had a six foot high water column.

I have been wondering lately about the nitrate-growth relationship, and have
been thinking it may have more to do with Dissolved Organic Compounds.
Whether it is hormones, nitrates, or DOCs, water changes would help alleviate
the concentrations.  So regardless of the cause, water changes are critical.

Bob Dixon