Re: tank size, fry growth, and water changes

From: Bob Dixon
Sent: Friday, April 23, 1999 8:01 PM

> ...I have been wondering lately about the nitrate-growth relationship, and
have been thinking it may have more to do with Dissolved Organic Compounds.
Whether it is hormones, nitrates, or DOCs, water changes would help
alleviate the concentrations.  So regardless of the cause, water changes are
critical.

Considering the naturally-occuring levels of DOCs in freshwater bodies,
especially with fish such as Apistos and Discus, I tend to think of waste
pollution as being more easily attributible than hormones. I consider dirty
water as the root cause of the ichthyological version of "blue baby
syndrome".

The more esoteric theories concerning hormones, whether they be
growth-reductive, anti-competetive or whatever, merely lend themselves to
enhancing the "mystique" of breeding and raising the difficult or exotic
species. Unlike the "fear" hormones released by schooling fish, where
proximity and sheer numbers make for the possibility, these "tank specific"
theories don't withstand much in the way of logical examination.

How many millions of gallons per *second* does the Amazon spew forth?...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10
nestor10@mindspring.com