Nijsseni and Cacatuoides behaviour

I just bought my first apisto's at a auction in Montreal last weekend.  I was
able to get a Nijsseni F0 trio(at least 1 male and female, though the other one
is small, F0 is the first fry from the parents correct?) and a male Cockatoo.
They were added to my 33 gallon tank that only had kribs in it.

I'm just wondering a little about their behaviours.  So far the cockatoo has
been staying in the back of the tank amoung the plants and hiding(the adult
kribs are fairly bossy but haven't really bothered him since he moved in). I've
added a few more caves in the hopes that it will bring him into the open a
little more.  The Nijsseni(Called Panda Apisto correct?) have been move social
or at least the female has.  She's about the size of the younger krib fry and
she's always out in the open.  The male is not as brave but still spends a fair
amount of time in the open while the smallest one hides near the log a lot
The color of my male nijsseni is a pale purple with yellowish orange
highlights.  The female is showing the same purple color and the smallest one
has a slight yellow tint but is also fairly dark.

>From what I understand they are from an area where the water is dark and tonight
when my lights shut off I noticed they all came to the surface looking for
food.  What kind of things can I do to make sure they are the happiest?  I feed
a variety of foods freeze-dried tubifex, bloodworms, shrimp pellets(wardley),
microworms(only live food I currently have), and flakes.)  I would like to see
them spawn and my waters somewhere around 6.0(my test kit doesn't go below
that).  Will Nijsseni spawn in a community setup or should I move them to a 15
gallon?

Thanks,

--
Don Town & Hessalene Attong