Re: New Apisto's

Hi and welcome.

h.

> Questions - 1. I was told that I could only have 1 pair of Apisto's
> because they would fight. Is this true?

Apistos are territorial as are all cichlids.  If one fish
wants the tank to himself (mainly sometimes her) then he
will try and evict any other he sees as a threat from his
territory.  I would not add any others to the tank.  You
may already have problems with the kribs.  Put plenty cover
such as plants, bogwood and caves in the tank.  Try and
split it in half to give two distinct territories.

> 2.	My Apistos are small, m- 3/4" and f. 1/2".  How quickly will they grow?
> How big might they get?
Male 2-3", female 1.5-2".

> 3.	The male Krib seems to pick on the Apisto a little and the female Krib
> a lot.  Is this normal?  The Apistos are so good to one another, why does
> the male Krib chase the female around all the time?
Probably because she is not is spawning condition.  If you
feed the female well and she develops eggs and adopts the
right colouration and starts to court the male they should
pair and stop fighting.  This will increase the aggression
to the Apistos though.

> 4.	The Apistos are not very aggressive eaters.  They
wait for food to
> filter down to their corner.  They never mingle with my tetras.  Are
> tetras good aquarium mates for them or not?
They may just be settling in or feel threatened by the
kribs.

> 5.	I would like to add 4 angels.  Is this a good or bad idea?  If it is a
> good idea, can you recommend a type that might a good choice?
Maybe a  bad idea given that there is already some
aggression in the tank.

> Your comments and direction are greatly appreciated.  I am new to the
> Apisto world and I am already hooked.

If you really want to get into apistos then try and devote
a single (10gallon or larger) to a pair, that way they
should breed which is when they really get interesting.

Good luck,
Ken.