Re: color breeding (was: Re viejita)

Vern writes:

<snip>> With the breeding for color are we gradualy weaking the fish to the
>  point that they will start throwing deformed fry?I know that most breeders
>  cross in some other fish to keep the strain going,but wont the line
>  eventualy start to have inferior fish at some point?
<<snip>

Deformed fry are the reuslt of either poor diet, poor H2OQ (water quality) or
defective genes.  The first two we can control easily.  We can also control
the last, but it requires a commitment to quality, rather than just quantity.
 Too many breeders are trying to make money, and measuring their success by
the bottom line.  Yes, you can make money at it, just ask Big John.  But
trying to squeeze out every last dime, or refusing to take a loss when your
efforts result in nice colors but bad fins, this leads to problems.  I would
put the health and strength of my triple red cacatuoides up against any wild
cacatuoides you have.

Bob Dixon